10 Things You Didn’t Know About Gina Hargitay
Social observers and commentators have been equating her with one of her best-known predecessors, dubbing her the most popular Miss Jamaica since the ’80s.
And little wonder, as since being crowned Miss Jamaica World, leggy beauty, Gina Hargitay, has been a one-woman charm offensive. Not just charming her way into the hearts of Jamaicans, but charming her way into the hearts of many around the globe. During her appearance as a competitor in the Miss World pageant, hosted last month in Bali, Indonesia, she earned herself a top 10 finish and the title of Miss World Caribbean.
Dubbed the biracial beauty by her adoring fans, Hargitay is not your average beauty. The young miss is fluent in at least three languages and lists her hobbies as sculpting, painting, drawing, and singing, and is determined to be the best goodwill ambassador she can be during her reign and beyond.
And at the fabulous age of 18, Hargitay has a lot to give and offer not just as a goodwill ambassador of Brand Jamaica, but as a role model for many of our young women.
Today, Outlook Magazine shares 10 things, not previously known about Gina Hargitay, who says her life’s ambition is to make a difference in the protection of children in Jamaica.
- She believes in the ability of everyone, especially a woman, to be able to defend themself, and holds a blue belt in tae kwondo.
- Swam competitively for St Ann when she was five years old, until her family relocated to London, England.
- Saved a nine-year-old boy from drowning last year.
- Is a vegetarian and lists Chinese food and ackee and salt fish as her favourite foods. Having decided at the age of 13 to become a vegetarian, she was, and still is, the only member of her family to make that step.
- Is a dog lover who some say is obsessed. She owns seven.
- Has a passion for art. All her school folders are filled with pages of doodles and drawings. She says her favourite music genres are reggae and rock. She has confessed to being obsessed with Damian Marley.
- Considers herself a nerd but makes no apologies for her love of chemistry and physics and says she could speak about science for days.
- She has had two surgical work experiences. The first was with a children’s orthopaedic surgeon. The second was with a heart surgeon where she actually got to scrub in on four open-heart surgeries and assisted in the closing.
- One of her dreams is to travel to at least four countries on every continent, including the Antarctic. But before embarking on this, she would first like to explore every island in the Caribbean.
- Is deeply concerned with what she sees as the collapse of Western societal structures and traditional values. In this context, she hates fast food, the fast life – fast anything. She believes that a lot of people have no time to think, as everybody is busy chasing alienating values and embracing the culture of consumerism, which is a ground for shallowness.